- Voter Registration Statistics
- Am I Registered? Check the status of your voter registration online.
- Register to vote, or update your registration, using the NC Voter Registration Form
- Cancellation Form for voters who have moved away from Durham County or want to cancel their voter registration.
- Deceased voters
- Deceased voters are removed during list maintenance procedures including checks against death records from the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, as well as the Durham County Register of Deeds.
- Notification of Deceased Voter Form can be used by a near relative of a deceased voter, or a personal representative of the deceased voter's estate.
- Felons: Ex-felons have the right to register and vote in North Carolina upon completion of their sentence.
If you are registering for the first time in Durham County, or if you are changing your party affiliation: Durham County Board of Elections must receive your application with an original signature. Your full name, address, where you live, date of birth, and original signature are mandatory fields that must be filled in. All fields on the form are extremely important and we request that you fill them in. You may mail your completed voter registration form to Durham County Board of Elections, P.O. Box 868, Durham, NC 27702. You may also hand deliver the form to the Durham County Board of Elections at 120 E Parrish Street, Durham, NC 27701.
Electronic signatures received via email or fax DO NOT satisfy the requirement of an original signature for first time registrations or changes to party affiliation.
If you are currently registered to vote in Durham County and you are using the application to update your name, address, or information other than party affiliation: You may also fax or email a scanned image of your signed application. Your full name, address, where you live, date of birth, and original signature are mandatory fields that must be filled in. All fields on the form are extremely important and we request that you fill them in. You may email your completed voter registration form to Durham County Board of Elections at firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also fax your completed voter registration form to Durham County Board of Elections at 919-560-0688.
The deadline to register to vote is 25 days before the day of the election. Voter registration forms that are received at the Durham County Board of Elections office or postmarked by the deadline are accepted as valid applications for the upcoming election.
Early Voting provides an all-purpose solution for those seeking to:
- avoid potential delays on Election Day
- vote on convenient days and during non-working hours
- register to vote (proof of residency is required)
- avoid any registration conflict that could trigger the necessity of a provisional ballot on Election Day; or
- update their Durham County voter record if they have moved within the county since last voting.
Proof of residency is required when using Same Day Voter Registration during Early Voting. The acceptable documents that may be used to provide proof of residency include: a North Carolina Driver License, a photo ID from a government agency, a copy of one of the following that shows the name and address of the voter: a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document.
The Board of Elections can provide voter registration forms for persons wishing to conduct a voter registration drive. Persons who take custody of completed voter registration forms must return the forms promptly to the appropriate County Board of Elections office.
Obtaining voter registration forms for a drive:
- Quantities of forms up to 200 can be obtained in person at the Durham County Board of Elections office at 120 E Parrish Street in Durham.
- To order large quantities of forms (200 or more), please visit this Voter Registration Drive page for the State.