Early Voting (also known in North Carolina law as "one-stop no excuse absentee voting") provides an all-purpose solution for voters seeking to:
- Avoid potential delays on Election Day
- Vote on convenient days and during non-working hours
- "Same-day" register to vote (see paragraph below regarding identification requirements)
- Avoid any registration conflict that could trigger the necessity of a provisional ballot on Election Day
- Update their voter record if they have moved within the county since last voting
"Same Day" Registration
An identification document is required when using Same Day Voter Registration during Early Voting. The acceptable documents that may be used include: a North Carolina driver license, a photo ID from a government agency, a copy of one of the following that shows the name and address of the voter: a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or other government document.